Saturday, September 15, 2012

What's Buggin' Me on a Blue-Sky Day

It's a beautiful blue-sky day here in Lancaster, and I have plans to shop at market then head to the gardens to get in a late fall planting.

But I ran into some bugs over the past two days after upgrading every component in my node stack. Of course.

The one thing about open source is that while the source might be open, you really have to pay attention to the discussions and updates--at least in the case of Express.js--to track changes. The primary author is incredibly smart, but he's also highly opinionated about what makes good programming and good programming languages.

It seems as though he's constantly trying to optimize, which is great. But after looking at the migration docs for Express 2.x to 3.x, I'm pretty certain he's not optimizing for the developers who have built dependencies on the earlier versions.

In particular, it appears as though he's ditching partials in favor of includes and mixins. And I'm not going to get into that, but I can see I'm either going to have to stay with the current versions of  all modules I'm using--because each module will likely be improved or adapted to 3.x--or I'm going to have to rip and replace code.

I'm not a great coder. I hate configuring stuff more than once, and am not a real fan of having to worry about the dependencies. This reminds me a bit of Microsoft in the 90's, when it would break APIs in software updates, rendering thousands of applications unusable until a patch came out.

It's different, but the effect is the same.

So this morning I got things running again. I'm not sure where it broke down exactly, but I cleaned some things up and it's fine.

Except that it also made me wonder why I'm bothering at all.

I'm passionate about the work I'm doing, but I'd rather manage developers toward a product vision than develop the product myself, for exactly the reasons you can see above.

I was sick most of the week. Most of the week sported blue-sky days like today, and I missed those mostly, too.
today at 11:20
I'm not going to miss more of today futzing around with the app, and will save it for rainy days and nights.

It's time for me to get back to running something.

No comments:

Post a Comment