Friday, November 4, 2011

What's Your Name?

I'm just finishing breakfast at an organic restaurant on 6th between 13th and 14th. I know it's organic because it's part of the name.

But when any restaurant claims to be 100% organic, I ask for its "source book"--a list of the farms and suppliers it works with. Frankly it's just for fun--I like to see what's going on in the local food ecosystem.

The food is pretty good, and it's priced like any restaurant in the area; the more affordable options are the delis and grocery stores, but today I really wanted to sit and code a bit. So I  sat down in this organic restaurant.

I asked for the source book. They sent someone over who explained that most of the stuff comes from two distributors who only buy from the tri-state area. So good! Local organic. He couldn't define what local means--30, 50, 100 miles?
(In California I think it's 250 miles. Pretty generous).


So I want to share this place with you. And sitting here, with no menu in front of me, and the name of the place in a scrawling cursive font on the  glass window facing out, I can't tell you what it is. Even with 4square I can't tell because the geo isn't spot on with it.

I don't know the name of the place.

One of the many things I learned from my very short-lived political career is that it takes people from 5 to 7 impressions to remember a brand. If someone's sitting in your place for 45 minutes, you have a great opportunity to go well beyond that without killing their experience.

I'll look for the name on the way out, but imagine the work and effort it takes to be an authentic organic restaurant in NY at 6th and 14th, and then look at the missed branding opportunity.

So, a simple tip: show your name early and often. It doesn't have to be plastered all over your product, site, or restaurant, but just enough so people can, well, blog about it.

I'll do the extra work with the help of Google maps--the coffee makes it worth it: GustOrganics. The service, however, wasn't great, but I'll stop again.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting.

    My uncle, who is a (successful) restaurateur, lives by a rule. If it has 'authentic' under the name, then it probably isn't.

    And can I request for Disqus, Guruji?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I'm the same way; my city (Lancaster) added a tagline "A City Authentic", as though people thought we were faking it.

    What do you mean "request'?

    ReplyDelete